Thursday, May 1, 2008

Happy Birthday Grandpa! -- Happy Day of the Ascension! -- AND Happy National Day of Prayer

So, it's a busy day for my blog.

First, it's my Grandpa's Birthday! Though he doesn't read this, I like to share the news so that y'all can keep him in your prayers. My grandfather turns 96 today! Although he's losing his eyesight and his memory is going, he's relatively healthy for a 96 year old. God bless him! I've always hoped that it's his genes I inherit.

Second, Happy Day of the Ascension! For those of you not in the know, today is the day we celebrate Jesus heading Home. According to Christian doctrine Jesus went, full body, to Heaven forty days after His resurrection - that would be today. Today's Gospel reading reminded us that though He is no longer physically among us He said, "And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age." Matthew 28:20.

Finally, Happy National Day of Prayer! I was thinking about this as I walked to school today: What about the atheists? Surely they must be opposed to a National Day of Prayer. And, apparently, I was right. According to Wikipedia, those opposed to a National Day of Prayer have established a National Day of Reason. And some groups, like the NYC Atheists organize events like blood donation drives on the same day. So, regardless of your religion or lack thereof, there's some good gettin' done today!

Speaking of Atheists and Prayer, I'll leave you with one of my favorite prayer jokes:

An Atheist walked through the forest, he looked at the beauty around him and said, "What natural wonders the powers of evolution have created."

Just then he heard a rustling near the river. He went to investigate and a 7-foot-tall grizzly bear came bounding toward him. The man took off like a shot and when he turned he saw the bear was catching up fast.

He tried with all his strength to pick up the pace, but he tripped and crashed to the ground. As he tried to get up, the bear jumped on his chest and picked up one paw to whack him.

The atheist screamed, "Oh my God!!!"

Time stopped! The bear froze. The forest was silent Even the river stopped moving.

As a bright light shone upon the man, a voice boomed from the heavens, "You deny my existence for all of these years, teach others I don't exist, and even credit creation to a cosmic accident. Do you expect me to help you out of this predicament? Am I to count you as a believer?"

The atheist looked directly into the light, "It would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask you to treat me as a Believer now, but perhaps could you make the bear a Believer?"

"Very well," the voice said.

The light went out! The river ran again. And the sounds of the forest resumed. And then the bear dropped its right paw, brought both paws together, bowed its head and spoke:

"Lord, for this food which I am about to receive, I am truly thankful."

No comments: