Tuesday, September 16, 2008

God invented the lightbulb


Cartoon Courtesy of freethunk.net

Every year for the past six years of teaching, without fail, my students have brought God into the classroom. Whether it be a conversation among students about their churches, an argument about where God lives, or simple theological ponderings about how Jesus is the Son and the Father at the same time, God does show up in the Public School classroom.

As a teacher, I can't promote a religion or religious talk, but I can take an objective approach to my students' questions. It's never easy, but hearing the thoughts of a 7 year old about God are always amusing, if not enlightening.

Today I received an email from my friend, the 3rd grade teacher who currently teaches my old 2nd graders. She wrote a brief clip from class today:

Science Teacher: You know, a lot of inventions wouldn't have happened without collaboration, things like electricity. By the way, does anyone know who invented the light bulb?

Class 305: GOD!! No wait, JESUS!!! No, GOD!!!!

"Fantastic!" wrote my friend.

Indeed.

No comments: