Friday, December 12, 2008

The Chronicles of a Fast


Jesus said in Matthew 6:16-18, "Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly."

Today I start a 48 hour fast. It's self-imposed and non-religious so you will see me look rather sad. I'm not going to hide it. There is a religious component to it, though, in that my fast ends with Communion on Sunday.

My first and only 2-day fast came about three years and a half years ago as part of the beginning of triathlon training. It's a way to force yourself to rest, cleanse, and jumpstart your body. During those two days I was on the couch a lot and slept a lot. I remember being very quiet and grumpy, and I don't remember much else. But, I felt like brand new when I came out of it. This time I'm doing as part of my pre-training for the NJ Marathon in May.

This weekend I'm going through it again, but this time, I'm updating on the blog every now and then to have a written record of what it feels like to go through it. My memory is hazy on the first one, so if I hated it, I have no idea.

As of 11:00am, my last solid food was a banana. It was delicious.

I will, for the next 48-hours, limit myself to water, herbal teas, and vegetable broth. Then, on Sunday morning, Communion!

I don't know if there will be any spiritually enlightening moments during this time, but if there are, I'll write them down.

I will warn you, though, that a hungry Christian is often a mean, grumpy Christian. So, if you happen to run into me this weekend, run away!

(Photo of Fasting Buddha at the Wat U-Mong temple in Chiang Mai, Thailand courtesy of astanhope)


The record of the fast

2.5 hours - Had some vegetable broth. It did a good job filling the belly. Not hungry, but my mind knows that solid food is two days away . . .
4 hours - I smell doughnuts. Everywhere.
5 hours - Every conversation I've had seems to involve food. Someone just said, "Let's go get food!" Bah!
7 hours - I'm hungry now. Took a nap. Going out to try and be social.
12 hours - I was able to not be too grumpy tonight by having another cup of broth. Food is everywhere. I see it, I smell it, I hear about it. Going out and being social helped from just staying ont he couch and thinking about food all the time. Going to go read in bed and sleep. Tomorrow will be a harder day.
20.5 hours - I woke up not hungry. I'm thirsty but not hungry. Today I'd like to go help at a fundraising sale at church. We'll see if I have the energy and character to pull it off.
23 hours - I napped for a while then took a nice long hot shower. I'm not hungry but my usually short attention span is much shorter.
25 hours - My mind feels muddled. Foggy. Going to go out for some tea and broth. Then try and help out at church. Saw a news piece on Kids Against Hunger - puts things in perspective. Still I kinda crave chicken mcnuggets.
30 hours - I spent a few hours at church helping with a Christmas sale. I felt like really tired. Going to have some veggie broth and take a nap. Not hungry. I long for the memory and taste of food but not hungry. I think this fast has gone better than the one I did 3 years ago because I've tried to keep myself busy. TV is the devil. Especially McDonald's commercials.
33.5 hours - Clarity achieved. All of a sudden I'm thinking clearly, my mind is fully . . . functional. More water, some tea, and some broth. Yet, Chicken McNuggets are still on the back of my mind. The power of advertising at its best.
38 hours - Wendy and I went to the movies to see Nothing Like the Holidays. Great cast, good movie. But, like many things latino, there was lots of food involved. Every other scene involved food. So, now, though I'm not hungry, I do miss food. And I do miss the feeling of satisfaction that a good meal brings. I also miss the simple energy that you get from eating. So, just 10 hours left. Eight of those hours will be me sleeping. I see the finish line.
46 hours - Slept like a baby but woke up feeling weak. I don't think I've ever felt this weak. Hopefully I don't faint. I have to watch what my first meal is. Has to be something simple yet enjoyable. A bagel? Mmmm.
46.5 hours - I feel sooo weak. Tempting to break fast now just to get some energy and not feel like I'm going to pass out. Read up on it and my first meal after Communion should be fruit. The carb should come a couple of hours later. I think I might order some pizza from across the street for dinner. But, no worries, it's like the healthiest pizza ever.
49 hours - I had Communion and it was wonderful. It was wonderful in the way that Communion should always be with the extra bonus that it was the first solid food in my mouth for 49 hours.
51 hours - after some fruit I went out and had brunch. Probably ate more than I should and I think I got a food/sugar rush. Will take it easy for the rest of the day. Hopefully the physical benefits are noticeable this week.

And thus ends my fast.

No comments: