Saturday, August 9, 2008

I saw the sun rise

This morning I was up in time to see the sun rise. This is my first sunrise in our new apartment in Astoria, NY. Usually you only see the sun come up on a Saturday for two reasons: you're getting up early for what is sure to be a nice, long day, or, you haven't gotten to bed yet.

Today, I am of the latter. I'm coming off a long day activity. I started with an hour and half at the gym. After much prayer it seems the will power is making a comeback. It's going to be tough to shed the extra weight I've put on and get back into running shape, but I will. I then went on to build an Ikea dresser. Then, I suited up to play kickball.

Last night my kickball team played their first playoff game. We played like 300 Spartans fending off 10,000 Persians. We gave them hell, but in the end were defeated. It was an inspiring game, not just for the athletics of it, but for the spirit of our team. We were the loudest, most offensive cheer squad in the stands. We made them sweat.

We topped it off with a great Italian dinner with teammates and then went home to rest. But, I was so pumped from the game that I tossed and turned for a few hours. I got up at 4:30am to give friends a ride to the airport. They're going to Aruba for a week and I get to car-sit. Sweet!

As I was driving home, I made note of how "empty" the streets of New York City were at 5:00am on a Saturday. Granted, our "empty" is crazy crowded compared to Bellevue, Nebraska's "empty." But still.

I was tired and driving, looking for a parking spot, and thinking about how blessed I am. I've worked out three times this week. That's a blessing. I have furniture to build. That's a blessing. I play kickball as an adult. That's a blessing. I have a beautiful wife. That's a major blessing. I have great friends who have great friends and together we have a wonderful time. That's a blessing. Friends trust me with their cars. Suckers. I mean, that's a blessing.

So, as I sat at my newly built Ikea kitchen table, I thought, "Isn't it grand that I get see another sunrise? Ain't that a blessing?"

And soon, hopefully soon, sleep will come. And, yes, that too will be a blessing.

No comments: