Tuesday, October 28, 2008

No on Prop 8!

I've been following the debate on Proposition 8 in California. The proposition would basically amend the California Constitution to eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry in California.

I support a 'No' vote on Proposition 8!

I'm sure my publicly stated opinion will bring in commentary and emails from all sides of the argument. And, I invite them.

I will remind you that not long ago laws prevented interracial marriage. Arguments were made that such a marriage would harm our nation's children and bring about the end of society as we knew it. The arguments were disgusting. I am sad to say that the same arguments are being made again regarding same-sex marriage. Those arguments are disgusting.

This is a civil rights issue/state issue. There is no just reason that two people should not be allowed to celebrate their love through a legal union. It's simply wrong to treat people differently.

I am a supporter of The Human Rights Campaign, the biggest GLBT civil rights organization in our country. If you can spare a minute or two, please visit their website for more information.

Here are some ads urging voters to vote NO on Prop 8:






Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere! - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this!!!

Just happened upon you blog, first time in a while. You sound like you're doing well. Say hi to Wendy for me.