Monday, October 13, 2008

on the way back from Madison...


We were on the plane, one of those under-50 seaters that feels like a bus with wings, when a helmet hit my elbow.

A tall tattooed woman excused herself for hitting me and tried to work her bags full of clunking gear into the overhead compartment. Her jacket said Gotham Girls Roller Derby. She looked badass.

It turns out Wendy and I were sitting across the aisle from Queens of Pain Captain, Suzy Hotrod. The plane felt that much smaller with all these tough looking women on board. There was some sort of comfort in knowing that if something happened to the plane, these ladies could put it on their collective backs and roll it safely to NYC.

I didn't have a chance to talk to any of them. They looked tired from a weekend full of whatever they were doing in Madison (my guess: beheading Midwesterners and eating live cattle).

In any case, were were on the plane with celebrities. Cool.

(Photo courtesy of manicpanic.com)

2 comments:

Ruby Khan said...

Gotham had just won the entire Women's Flat Track Roller Derby eastern regional tournament--best of 12 top team in the east. :)

Anonymous said...

I wrote my Master's Project on GGRD, you may recall. Suze and I are tight (not really, but we chatted on the phone several times, and I met her mom). She's quite the lady.