Friday, October 24, 2008

We are New York effin' City!

I am disappointed by my city today. The City Council voted in favor of extending term limits, against the popular referendum that set them. With the vote, the City Council give the mayor and themselves the possibility to keep their jobs for another four years.

Personally, I'm pissed off. The argument the mayor is making that this offers the city a greater choice is ridiculous when you take into account the power and bank of the incumbent. Especially when the incumbent has $100 million dollars of his own money to spend on a campaign.

As innovative and successful as I think this mayor has been, I think this move places him squarely on my "Return to Sender" list. I thought I'd support him, but his continued argument about choice shoved me to other side.

Many have been arguing that in this time of financial crisis we need this mayor. It's the same argument people made to try and extend Rudy Giuliani's term back in late 2001. We needed Giuliani to get us through the aftermath of September 11th. Turns out we did just fine. We are New York effin' City! We will be fine!

I'm looking forward to the campaign against the mayor and his city council pals.

1 comment:

Paul Snatchko said...

Agreed. Mayor Bloomberg has done a good job but this move was wrong. If term limits were enacted by referendum they need to be undone by referendum.