Thursday, October 23, 2008

Term Limits should be overturn by the people

In a few hours the New York City Council will vote on whether to extend the term limits. Mayor Michael Bloomberg is seeking to extend his stay as mayor through an election for a third term next year.

I am a fan of Michael Bloomberg. He has been an innovative mayor and, in my opinion, done a decent job. I can't say I'm a fan of his education policy or his Chancellor of Education, but for the most part, I've been a Bloomberg supporter.

On the other hand, I am not a fan of term limits. Although it gives new voices and ideas a chance at bat, I believe in the natural term limit that is an election. Essentially, if you suck at your job, you don't get reelected. I do think we need to change the rules a little so that the incumbent doesn't have such a lopsided advantage over the challenger - but that's for another day.

In our current situation, the term limit law was passed by voter referendum. The mayor, through the City Council, is trying to pass legislation that overrides the voter referendum to change the term limit law. It is within their legal rights to do so. But, is it right?

Here you have a city legislature and a mayor who are going to overpower the will of the people so that they may keep their jobs. Don't do it!

I wrote a letter to Mayor Bloomberg expressing my disappointment in this maneuver. I suggested, as others have, that the city vote in another referendum early next year to overturn the term limit law. Let the people overturn it, not the politicians.

Here was his response, in what I am sure is a mass email reply to anyone expressing their concerns (my comments are in bold):

Dear Mr. Ledesma: (he called me Mr. Ledesma!)


Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about term limits. (Anytime.)


In recent weeks and months, I've listened to many different New Yorkers with lots of different opinions on the issue of term limits. (Including two letters from me.) But as Wall Street has entered its worst crisis since the Great Depression, and our economic situation has become increasingly unstable and worrisome, the question for me has become far less about the theoretical and much more about the practical. And that means asking a very basic question: Is it in the best interests of the City to give voters more choices in next year's election? (Good question. Would you be giving New Yorkers more choices by giving them the opportunity to vote for the incumbent or would they have more choices by giving others a chance to run?????)


I understand that people voted for a two-term limit, and altering their verdict is not something that should be done lightly. The City Council - a democratically elected representative body - has the legal authority to change the law, and if it does so, the final verdict would remain with the City's voters. On Election Day, it will be up to the people to decide which candidates have earned their vote, and which have not. (I am afraid that the people of this City will turn on the mayor and not reelect him based on the change in term limits. He'll go from being a decently popular mayor to being a despised one.)


I've always supported term limits, and I continue to do so. (He's not acting like it.) But I also don't want to want to walk away from a city I feel I can help lead through these tough times. If the Council passes an extension of the term limits law from two to three terms, I plan to ask New Yorkers to look at my record of independent leadership - and then to decide if I have earned a final term. (Again, I'm afraid they might say no!) Whatever the Council decides, I'll remain focused on doing my job and finishing this term as I began it: by working day and night for New Yorkers and the City I love.


Thanks again for taking the time to write. (Anytime.)


Sincerely,

Michael R. Bloomberg (What does the 'R' stand for, by the way?)

Mayor


Here's the thing, I actually think that if the term limit law went to referendum, the people of NYC would actually extend the term limit law in order to keep Bloomberg around for another term. But, the people of NYC also do not like to be f%$*ed over. They will react and it won't be pretty for Bloomberg.

I'm disappointed by the mayor, the Council Speaker, and my own City Councilman on this issue. Based on the likely candidates for mayor next year, if Mayor Bloomberg is given the chance to run again, I will vote for him.

However, I will have no problem in trying to kick out the City Council members who vote to pass the extension. This is our democratically elected body. I will, democratically, help to kick their @$$es to the curb. I'm looking right at'ya Peter Vallone, Jr.!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you like your Chancellor?

Christian Alberto Ledesma said...

There are a few reasons but my biggest issues with his leadership are:
-he's taken NCLB and run with it, now pushing standardized exams as early as kindergarten
-the number of bureaucrats under his watch has grown by 400 in the past 4 years, with over 50 of them working in the Office of Accountability (the office that pushes exams on the babies)
-somehow some of these people get paid something like $200,000 to "facilitate achievement" (and, many of them are not educators - they're finance folks)
-his School Report Card is terrible - it's inconsistent and only helps to give "Quality" Reviewers something to do for the millions they get from the city
-he's a lawyer with some community service work, not an educator. I think he may have been a sub for a little while. That's a problem. I don't trust him on education policy.